Wednesday, November 24, 2004

What is a life coach

For those in the USA, I'm sure you have all heard of a life coach and what they are. Some may have already used their service. Would be interesting to find out if you benefitted from it or found it a waste of time.

For us in the UK mentioning the phrase "Life Coach" causes and instant look of confusion as people try to work out which sport it relates to. Their next reaction tends to be one of - "So it's like councelling then?"

So to quickly some up. A life coach is someone that will help you achieve your goals in the shortest time possible. If you aren't sure what those goals are, a life coach is someone you can bounce ideas off and will help you find out what is really important to you, then your life coach will help you work towards acheiveing that goal.

1 comment:

pgbailey said...

My motive is to keep a log of my experiences during my training as a life coach. I would never list specific details about a client as this would be a breach of confidence.

I'm sure as I progress you will see more evidence of the techniques that I use and I'll give more info on them as they come up. The biggest skill for a life coach would be to listen. Not just hear a client but actually trying to understand what they are saying and why they are saying it using those words and phrases.

I started looking in to becoming a life coach in September 2004 and went on my first training course in late October 2004. Since then I've begun to coach someone and have so far complete 3 out of our 6 sessions. I need to coach 6 people for 6 sessions free of charge to gain my certification.